OPEN LIFE GROUP OUTLINE
5 STEP HOUR OF POWER
A) WORSHIP OR TESTIMONIES
E) *RECEIVE AN OFFERING AND GIVE ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Please encourage all attendees to go to www.theharvest.us to the Connect page and fill out the online connect card (under the connect tab) to update our church data base
May 26, 2019
"The Blood of the New Identity" Part 3 - continued
- Changing Your Name
Matthew 16:13-18 (NIV)
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
Having the correct identity or self image is vitally important! You can be defined by God or defined by comparison and the opinions of the world. Satan even tried to tempt Jesus with a distortion of who He was...”if you are the son of God.” Satan knew if he could blur His identity he could destroy His purpose. Jesus knew who He was! Do you? This week Pastor Bray spoke about 4 Principles to the New Identity. The first principle is Your Identity is Hidden in Him. When you know who He is, you discover who you are. Secondly, Your Nature Contradicts Your Identity. Simon “reed blowing in the wind” contradicted who Jesus called him - Peter “the rock”. Jacob “the cheater, supplanter, thief” contradicted who God called him to be - Israel “prince, one who has authority with God”. Let God change your name!!! Like for Jacob, a change of name may require a wrestling match with God. You may “walk with a limp” after your wrestling match. Humility will follow. The correct Identity is more than worth it! Next, imitating Jesus is the secret to the becoming you. The more you become like Him, the closer you become to who you were created to be. And finally, the flesh is the veil over your true identity. The cutting away of the flesh nature is the spiritual sign of those who have a new identity. Repentance is that cutting away of the flesh.
1) On a scale from 1 to 10, how confident are you in your identity in Jesus?
2) Do you need to find your New Identity?
3) What are you / can you do to find out more about who He is?
4) What name have you been called the contradicts who Jesus calls you?
5) What do you need to repent of to become become more like Jesus?
6) Would you like to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior tonight?